The executives of seven technology giants, including Google and Intel, asked US President Donald Trump on Monday to make a decision soon regarding the commercial activity of the Chinese company Huawei in the US, the White House said in a statement.

The president met on Monday afternoon with the directors of seven technology giants (Google, Intel, Cisco, Qualcomm, Micron, Broadcom and Western Digital) with the aim of addressing the veto that Washington imposed in May to Huawei, restricting its commercial activity in the US.

At that meeting, according to the White House, the leaders of the technology companies asked Trump that the US Department of Commerce and Treasury, who have blacklisted Huawei, decide “in a timely manner” on the restrictions that weigh on the Chinese company.

Trump agreed with the requests of the businessmen, according to the White House statement.

The meeting came at a time when technology companies are pressuring the US Administration to bring Trump comply with the promise he made at the G20 summit and allow Huawei to sell chips and other small components to US companies.

In May, the US banned Huawei from selling its telecommunications equipment to US firms for suspecting that the Chinese company could take advantage of these systems for espionage.

That ban has prevented US tech giants, such as Google, from doing business with Huawei.

In fact, Google had to stop assisting Huawei on software issues; if Trump’s veto continues, Huawei’s new devices will not be able to access Google and not use applications developed by the US company, such as the Google Play Store.

At the recent G20 summit in June, Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, agreed to a new truce in their trade war, whereby Washington halted the imposition of new tariffs on China and agreed to allow Huawei to sell small components, like chips, to American companies.

However, so far, that promise has not materialized and there is great confusion among those who use Huawei devices.

This month, US Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, said in a press conference that he will only allow Huawei’s commercial activity when it does not pose a “threat” to the country’s security.

In practice, that means that Washington could allow Huawei to only market basic technologies, such as old semiconductors, a material very present in the market and that moves away from the exclusive technological development that giants like Google want to access.

Déjanos tu opinión

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here