Aeronautic giant Boeing reported Wednesday that it has “reserved” 100 million dollars to help the families of the victims of the two accidents caused by their model 737 MAX plane, in which 346 people died.

The funds will be available during the next years and are not part of any compensation that Boeing must pay to those who sued the company for damages related to both events, the firm has made clear in a statement that, with an air of patriotism, remember that they present this gesture 24 hours after US Independence Day.

“At Boeing we lament the tragic loss of life in these two accidents and these lost lives will continue to weigh on our hearts and minds for years to come,” Boeing President and CEO Dennis Muilenburg said in the note.

In this sense, Dennis Muilenburg added: “The families and loved ones of those who were on board (of the sinister) have our deepest condolences, and we hope that this initial scope can help them feel more comfortable.”

The 100 million dollars are aimed, according to Boeing, to support “the expenses of education, hardship and development of the lives of those families affected, their community programs and economic development.”

Boeing will associate with local governments and non-profit organizations to meet these needs in an initial investment that will be applied on a multiannual basis.

The movement occurs when Boeing is still on the ropes for how they designed the 737 Max earlier this decade.

Critics say the company hastened to build the plane and did not fully disclose the problems related to its flight control software, the so-called MCAS, which is why these types of planes are prohibited from flying sine die.

That software is suspected of having caused accidents in Indonesia and Ethiopia, although in both accidents researchers have not yet determined an official cause of the accident.

“We are focused on recovering the trust of our customers and the public in the coming months,” Muilenburg said in the statement.

On June 26, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said it had found another “potential risk” in the software of the Boeing 737 Max involved in the two accidents that the company must solve to make these aircraft fly again

The company announced in May that it had completed the software update and finalized its corresponding tests, with 207 flights and more than 360 hours in the air, in preparation for the devices to be able to operate again.

Boeing said they were “in agreement with the decision and request” of the FAA and stated that “they are working on the required software.”

Last October, a Boeing 737 MAX 8 of the Indonesian low-cost company Lion Air sank in the Java Sea, in an accident that killed 189 people. The black box revealed flaws in the automatic system.

In March, a second Boeing 737 MAX 8, in this case Ethiopian Airlines, also crashed, causing 157 deaths, a disaster that added to the Indonesian alarms among air regulators around the world, prohibiting these aircrafts from flying.

Boeing has paralyzed deliveries of the device to its customers but is continuing to produce at a slower pace, 42 units a month, with the idea of ​​accelerating to 57 a month once their fleet is operational again worldwide. EFEUSA

Déjanos tu opinión

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here