White House Democratic pre-candidate Bernie Sanders announced Tuesday that he will slow the pace of his campaign from now on after suffering a heart attack last week.

“I think we’re going to change the nature of the campaign a little bit. Make sure I have the strength to do what I have to do,” Sanders told reporters after a visit to the cardiologist in Burlington, Vermont, accompanied by his wife.

Sanders has been recovering since Saturday at his residence in Vermont, where he traveled after being discharged Friday from hospital in Las Vegas (Nevada), where he was intervened and admitted for three days after a myocardial infarction.

The leftist candidate, 78, said from now on, “I probably won’t have four rallies a day”.

“We were doing, you know, in some cases five or six meetings a day, three or four rallies and acts and meetings with groups of people. I don’t think I’m going to do that anymore,” he added.

Although the senator, currently sitting third in the polls, has indefinitely suspended his campaign, he is working to be in the next Democratic debate, held October 15th in Ohio.

Sanders is one of three septuagenarians in the Democratic race for President, along with also favorite Joe Biden, 76, and also Senator Elizabeth Warren, 70. In addition, President Donald Trump, who is running for re-election, is 73.

Sanders’ heart attack is likely to light the campaign spotlights on the health of the candidates, as his episode adds to Biden’s much-commented absent-mindedness.

Biden, precisely, still leads the Democratic polls followed closely by Warren and then Sanders.

Although the Democratic race has been going on for months, the candidates won’t see each other at the polls until February 3 of next year, when Iowa, the first state to vote, will hold its primaries with a view to the November 2020 presidential election, in which Republican Trump will seek re-election.

Déjanos tu opinión